- Bloom, L. (1970) Language development: Form and function
in emerging grammars. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Bloom, L. (1973) One word at a time: the use of single-word
utterances before syntax. The Hague: Mouton.
- Braine, M. D. S. (1963) The ontogeny of English phrase
structure: the first phase. Language 39.1-13
- Braine, M. D. S. (1976) Children's first word combinations. Monographs
of the Society for Research in Child Development, Chicago: University
of Chicago Press (164).
- Brown, R. (1973) A first language: The early stages.
Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Dore, J., Franklin, M. B., Miller, R T., Ramer, A. L. H. (1976)
Transitional phenomena in early language acquisition. Journal
of Child Language 3.13-19
- Dressler, W. U. & Dziubalska-Kolaczyk, K. (1997) Contributions
from the acquisition of Polish phonology and morphology to theoretical
linguistics. Language and its ecology: Essays in memory of Einar
Haugen, ed. by S. Eliasson & E. H. Jahr. New York: Mouton
de Gruyter. 379-399.
- Dressler, W. U. & Karpf, A. (1995) The theoretical
relevance of pre- and protomorphology in language acquisition.
Yearbook of Morphology 1994, ed. by G. Booij and J. v. Marle. 99-122.
Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Echols, C. H. (1993) A perceptually-based model of children's
earliest productions. Cognition 46.245-296.
- Echols, C. H. & Newport, E.L. (1992) The role of stress
and position in determining first words. Language Acquisition
- Gerken, L. 1987. Telegraphic speaking does not imply telegraphic
listening. Stanford Papers and Reports in Child Language Development,
- Gerken, L. (1996) Phonological and distributional information
in syntax acquisition. Signal to Syntax: Bootstrapping from Speech to
Grammar in Early Acquisition (pp. 411-425), ed. by J. L. Morgan &
K. Demuth. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Gerken, L, B. Landau & R. Remez. 1990. Function morphemes
in young children's speech perception and production. Developmental
Psychology, 26, 204-216.
- Kilani-Schoch, M., de Marco A., Christofidou, A., Vassilakou, M.,
Vollman, R. & Dressler, W. U.. (1997) On the demarcation
of phases in early morphology acquisition in four languages. Poznan
Studies in Contemporary Linguistics 33.
- Klein, H. (1978) The relationship between perceptual strategies
and production strategies in learning the phonology of early lexical
items. Bloomington Indiana: Indiana University Linguistics Club.
- Klein, H. (1981) Early perceptual strategies for the replication
of consonants from polysyllabic lexical models. Journal of Speech
and Hearing Research 24.535-551.
- Lleó, C. & Demuth, K. (1999) Prosodic constraints
on the emergence of grammatical morphemes: crosslinguistics evidence
from Germanic and Romance languages. Proceedings of the 23rd annual
Boston University conference on language development, ed. by A. Greenhill,
H. Littlefield & C. Tano. 407-418. Somerville MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Macken, M. A. (1979) Developmental reorganization of phonology:
a hierarchy of basic units of acquisition. Lingua 49.11-49
- MacWhinney, B. (1978) Processing a first language: The
acquisition of morphophonology. Chicago: University of Chicago
- Mariscal, S. (1997) El processo de grammaticalization
de las categorias nominales en Español. Doctoral dissertation.
Universidad Autonoma de Madrid.
- O'Grady, W. (1997) Syntactic development. Chicago:
University of Chicago Press.
- Peters, A. M. (1977) Language learning strategies: Does
the whole equal the sum of the parts? Language 53.560-573
- Peters, A. M. (1983) The units of language acquisition.
New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Peters, A. M. (1986) Early syntax. Language acquisiton,
2nd edition, ed. by P. Fletcher & M. Garman. 307--325. New York:
Cambridge University Press.
- Peters, A. M. (1993) The interdepencence of social, cognitive
and linguistic development: Evidence from a visually-impaired child.
Constraints on language acquisition: Studies of atypical children, ed.
by H. Tager-Flusberg. 195-219. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Peters, A. M. (1995) Strategies in the acquisition of
syntax. Handbook of language acquisition, ed. by P. Fletcher &
B. MacWhinney. Oxford: Blackwell. 462-482.
- Peters, A. M. (1996) The emergence of catenatives from
filler syllables. Paper presented at conference on Approaches
to Bootstrapping in Early Language Development, Berlin, September 1996.
- Peters, A. M. (1997) Language typology, prosody and the
acquisition of grammatical morphemes. The Crosslinguistic Study
of Language Acquisition, ed. by D. I. Slobin. Hillsdale NJ: Lawrence
- Peters, A. M. (1999) The emergence of so-called 'functional
categories' in English: A case study of auxiliaries, modals and quasi-modals.
LACUS Forum XXV, ed. by S. J. Hwang & A. Lommel.
- Peters, A. M. (in press) From prosody to grammar in English:
the differentiation of catenatives, modals, and auxiliaries from a single
protomorpheme. Approaches to bootstrapping: phonological, syntactic
and neurophysiological aspects of early language acquisition, ed. by
J. Weissenborn & B. Höhle. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
- Peters, A. M. & Menn, L. (1993) False starts and filler
syllables: Ways to learn grammatical morphemes. Language 69.742-777.
- Scarpa, E. (1993) Filler-sounds and the acquisition of
prosody: sound and syntax. Paper at Sixth International Conference
for the Study of Child Language. Trieste.
- Simonsen, H. G. (1993) Models in the description of phonological
acquisition. Paper at Sixth International Conference for the Study
of Child Language. Trieste.
- Veneziano, E. & Sinclair, H.. (in press) From the
surface inward: a discontinuous continuity in the emergence of grammatical
morphemes. Journal of Child Language.