To use Unicode and IPA on OS X, follow these steps:
- Install a recent copy of CLAN.
- If you have Microsoft
Office installed, you should already have Arial Unicode and that
will work well.
- If you need to work with older non-UTF CHAT files, you can
convert them to UTF format using CLAN's CP2UTF program.
- To use IPA characters, you should download and install the
Charis SIL font.
- To facilitate IPA input, you can install the
IPA Palette system provided
by Brian Hall. After installation, you should be able to select
"Show IPA Palette" from the "Flag" menu.
- IPA Palette can be combined with the SIL keyboard layout
system. Download the current version of the IPA Unicode Macintosh
- Once the keyboard is installed, you can turn on "show
keyboard shortcuts" in the Settings tab of IPA Palette.